Apr 22, 2014

ARC Review: Tease by Amanda Maciel

TeaseAuthor: Amanda Maciel
Publisher: Balzar + Bray 
Number of Pages: 336

Synopsis:
"From debut author Amanda Maciel comes a provocative and unforgettable novel, inspired by real-life incidents, about a teenage girl who faces criminal charges for bullying after a classmate commits suicide.
Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault. At least, that's what everyone seems to think. Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community, and the media. In the summer before her senior year, in between meetings with lawyers and a court-recommended therapist, Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment—and ultimately consider her own role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over.
With its powerful narrative, unconventional point of view, and strong anti-bullying theme, this coming-of-age story offers smart, insightful, and nuanced views on high school society, toxic friendships, and family relationships."
This is such a wonderful story about bullying, how it happens without you even knowing, and the consequences that follows. Amanda Maciel has written a debut that is already listed as one of my 2014 favorites.

I was planning to start off this review with a bunch of gifs that showed how mind blown I was by this book but I decided not to. Instead I decided to tell you how amazing this book is first and then show the gifs. I can not express the utter happiness and awe this book as put me in. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING! It just blew my mind and for a debut this was just so top-notch. 

When I first got this book in the mail there was one thing that just fell in love with. THE COVER! It is so shiny that it's like a mirror...a freaking mirror. I CAN SEE MY FACE IN IT! I know your not supposed to judge a book by it's cover and all but I do because there are too many amazing book in this world to pick them up by what they are about. Covers are part of the selection process. The words you see behind the title are the first two pages so if you can read that you've got an excerpt right there. I knew the minute I saw this cover that I was going to read this book.

The plot of this book is phenomenon. For a debut it was very daring to do. This book is very emotional, heartbreaking, and it could strike very close the heart. What Amanda Maciel showed us in this novel was extremely different. We always hear of those books and movies whose main character is the one getting bullied, you rarely hear the main character being the bully. We definitely don't here about what goes on after a person commits suicide because of bullying, we don't here the bullies point of view on what happened and this book really brought that to life. 

The biggest thing that struck me was the fact that you may be bullying someone without even realizing it. You think you might be getting revenge for something that person did to you and think it is completely harmless. This especially goes on in high school. I'm currently a sophomore in high school and I know it's common to throw around insults that you don't give a second thought about. We don't realize what we meant as a joke might actually hurt to the other person. This had to be the biggest reason I completely fell in love with Tease.

I strongly recommend that once this book is released that everyone should read it-especially teenagers. THIS INCLUDES GUYS! Just because the cover looks girly doesn't mean the book is girly! Bullying is a serious subject and it is one that is a very sensitive topic right now in the US. People do commit suicide because of bullying, you might think it doesn't happen to you or to the people around you but it does. Please everyone be conscious of what you are saying to others and never let anyone feel left out.

Amanda Maciel wrote an amazing novel that is my favorite book of 2014 so far and will definitely remain one of my favorites.

Here are the gifs I said I would add:







  
I don't usually give books more than five stars unless they just leave me speechless and just wanting to shove this at everyone and this book definitely did that.

Rating: 6 out of 5 stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment