Dec 27, 2013

2013 End of the Year Survey

best books 2013 end of year survey
I saw this survey and it looked like fun so I decided to do it as well. It was created by Jamie over at the Perpetual Page-Turner. It's pretty long so you don't have to read the whole thing!


1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

*Book titles lead to reviews or Goodreads links.

Contemporary YA – Dare You To by Katie McGarry
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – The Elite by Kiera Cass 
Historical Fiction – I didn't read any this year but I really dislike this genre.
Paranormal - Indelible by Dawn Metcalf
Science Fiction - Rush by Eve Silver
Fantasy - Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. This book was just so bad for me. i didn't even finish the last 10 pages because I was just so done.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Death Note. If you know me then you know that I HATE manga and I really did like this series. I got 6 books in before I stopped.

 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Cinder by Marissa Meyer.  My sister said this right away once I asked her.

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

I fell in love with the Lunar Chronicles right after I read Cinder with my book club. So obsessed with this series and I can't wait for Cress to come out 6 days before my birthday!

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Penelope Douglas, author of Bully and Until You. I am not ashamed to say that I stalk this amazing lady on Facebook...okay maybe a little.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

As a rule (that my parent's hate) I avoid non-fiction or anything like it. I love Audrey Hepburn: An Intimate Portrait, a biography. Her life is so interesting!

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black is a must read for all of you. I highly recommend you all read it. I am trying to patiently wait for the sequel and I'm not sure it's working... 

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. This is the first book that I gave 6 out of 5 stars!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

I'm going to take a nap after this survey. I'm cheating so...Nastya Kashnikov from The Sea of Tranquility, America Singer from The Elite, and Beth Risk from Dare You To. All 3 of these women are people who have remained strong through so many hard situations and they inspire me to be better. A book can't get 5 stars from me without some strong, amazing characters.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Easiest question on this whole survey so far, The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. I'm telling you people that you have to read this!!

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

I really have to go with Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell for this. (I was debating between this and Sea of Tranquility again.) This book really has an important lesson woven between the words-domestic violence/harassment. My life has been particularly impacted by this issue, especially this year, and I really respect Rainbow Rowell for this book.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I still haven't written a review on this but I really loved it! I waited on this because sad books really just tear me apart and I finally read it with my book club last month.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

“People like to say love is unconditional, but it's not, and even if it was unconditional, it's still never free. There's always an expectation attached. They always want something in return. Like they want you to be happy or whatever and that makes you automatically responsible for their happiness because they won't be happy unless you are ... I just don't want that responsibility.”

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest –  Late Night With Andres by Debra Anastasia (80 pages)

Longest - Entangled by Annie Brewer (550 pages)

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

The end of Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It practically killed me.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Romance – Jared and Tate (Bully by Penelope Douglas)
Friendship – America and Marlee (The Elite by Kiera Cass) 
Familial - ....I really can't think of one at the moment. If I find one I will update this post!

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Vow by Jessica Martinez! It's an amazing book and I highly recommend that you all read it. Her previous book that I read was Virtuosity.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Death Note (A Manga)

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

No surprise for me but Paranormal or Contemporary! 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Reed from The Vow by Jessica Martinez. Not the main character but he's amazing!

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Pivot Point by Kasie West.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

For 2013 it is definitely Indelible by Dawn Metcalf. The imagery definitely makes this a great horror/paranormal read.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Rush by Eve Silver. This is a book definitely written for gamers, I used to be a BIG gamer so it was a lot of fun knowing what they were talking about and making connections to real games.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Book that made me sob the most: The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. First book to ever make me cry.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black. One of my favorite books of 2013 and I really don't think that enough people know about it.

2014-books


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead! I need my Sydrian fix and yet I can't seem to find a copy and I'm broke....anyone want to give me a copy? 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

Landline by Rainbow Rowell. 

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings. It looks like a Stephan King book.

 4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

I have a new feature that I will be introducing for 2014 and I'm really excited. I hope it will really kick off and a lot of people will join in. I also hope that I can get more comments in this upcoming year.

If you participated in this survey then link up your post in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. You've mentioned some really great books in your answers. I can't believe I still haven't read the Lunar Chronicles or any Rainbow Rowell; that's definitely something I need to do soon. I've been thinking of reading The Sea of Tranquillity for quite some time now, I'm hoping to buy myself that one soon :)

    Great answers! My End of Year Survery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a must!! Great answers to your survey as well!

      Delete