Jun 13, 2013

Review: Gabriel's Rapture by Sylvain Reynard

Gabriel's Rapture (Gabriel's Inferno, #2)
Author: Sylvain Reynard

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Here's the synopsis:

"Professor Gabriel Emerson has embarked on a passionate, yet clandestine affair with his former student, Julia Mitchell. Sequestered on a romantic holiday in Italy, he tutors her in the sensual delights of the body and the raptures of sex. But when they return, their happiness is threatened by conspiring students, academic politics, and a jealous ex-lover. When Gabriel is confronted by the university administration, will he succumb to Dante's fate? Or will he fight to keep Julia, his Beatrice, forever? In Gabriel's Rapture, the brilliant sequel to the wildly successful debut novel, Gabriel's Inferno, Sylvain Reynard weaves an exquisite love story that will touch the reader's mind, body, and soul, forever."

Now unlike Gabriel's Rapture I was totally just in giving this a 3 star rating. I rated this on the same level I rate all my other books. I must say that this book was really good, but once again TOO LONG! I know it's only 386 pages and I have read books way longer but the plot was stretched too long. The book is amazing but it contained too much detail. The whole book could have been finished a whole lot faster if it weren't for all that detail, but honestly it was a lot of fun reading this book. 

I love these characters. Gabriel's such a sweetheart and I love Julia's innocence. The couple is something you wouldn't expect but its just so right. I literally wanted to kick Gabriel's in the you-know-what for leaving Julia. I literally wanted to cry for Julia's pain. I was shaking uncontrollably with anger and sadness at Gabriel leaving Julia. The author wrote such amazing, strong characters. I feel like I know them personally. I love it when a author manages to connect a reader with the characters in their books. I feel that, that is the true meaning of writing and being a good author. 

I love how Gabriel's family is so protective of Julia. They treat her like her own. I found it hard to believe in the first book how in the first book Gabriel had never met one of his sister's best friend. He only met her once and that was in a drunk and drug induced stupor. 

This is really an amazing book. The only problem is that there is way to much detail and that makes the book appear to be too long when it is actually a decent size. I really did wish that there would be a sequel to this book, but it wouldn't make any sense to have a sequel. Maybe Ms. Sylvain Reynard could write a novella about Gabriel and Julia's future. Maybe with some kids????? Just a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment