May 19, 2013

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Number of Pages: 466

Synopsis:

"Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
     It can.
     She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
     There is.
     She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
     She’s wrong.
     After Mara survives the traumatizing accident at the old asylum, it makes sense that she has issues. She lost her best friend, her boyfriend, and her boyfriend’s sister, and as if that weren’t enough to cope with, her family moves to a new state in order to give her a fresh start. But that fresh start is quickly filled with hallucinations—or are they premonitions?—and then corpses, and the boundary between reality and nightmare is wavering. At school, there’s Noah, a devastatingly handsome charmer who seems determined to help Mara piece together what’s real, what’s imagined—and what’s very, very dangerous."

This book was amazing. I've been drawn to this book for a while now, for many different reasons. First reason has to be the cover. Yes-I am one of those people. I judge a book by its cover, I don't want to but some covers are just so pretty that you just need to buy the book even if it's horrible. This cover is so freaking beautiful. I really just love to stare at it. Second off this Noah guy is everywhere. Everyone seems to love him, and sorry- but I can't resist a good, sexy male fictional character. Lastly, the synopsis just sucked me in the minute I read it. 

This book definitely lived up to my expectations. Yes-Noah was amazing and I just fell for him-hard. His character was such a witty, caring character that you just fell in love, but of course their were those moments where you just wanted to punch him...

"You smell good," he whispered into my neck. He was warm against me. Instinctively, I arched back into him and smiled. "Really?""Mmm-hmm. Delicious. Like bacon.”
That has got to be my favorite piece of dialogue in this book. It sums up Noah perfectly. 

Now let's talk about the main character-Mara. This girl is bad-ass! (Excuse my french.) I love her responses back to Noah when she had just met him. 

“Asscrown," I muttered under my breath as I headed to my next class. I wasn't proud of swearing at a complete stranger, no. but he started it.
Noah matched my pace. "Don't you mean 'assclown'?" He looked amused.
"No," I said, louder this time. "I mean asscrown. The crown on top of the asshat that covers the asshole of the assclown. The very zenith in the hierarchy of asses," I said, as though I was reading from a dictionary of modern profanity.
"I guess you nailed me then.” 
I actually used this on my best friend because he can be such a pain even though I love him. He was shocked for a second and then he started laughing. He found this hysterical, as did I.
This really shows Mara's personality in a way. Not that she's mean or anything, but she doesn't take anybody's crap. I really respect people like that.

Now when I read this book my sister had just finished reading this. She didn't like it as much as I did, she hated how as the book got closer and closer to the end it just sort of started to slip into this boring state. I didn't get that. I really enjoyed this book, yes it got slow but not to the point where it was boring. I think that the length of the book was a bit intimidating and that was what made it seem so long, because long books can become essentially rants. This is why I gave the book only 4 stars. The book getting slow did bother me just not as much as it bothered my sister. 

Overall I really enjoyed this book. That cliffhanger was like a punch in the gut. I freaking loved it. I didn't expect that at all! It was just so amazing and I really just have to bow down to Michelle Hodkin for coming out with such an amazing ending. This has definitely compelled me to get my hands on the second book as fast as possible.


I really, highly recommend this book. If you have not read it, then go buy it or borrow it at the library so make sure you check it out!!


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a good read and Noah sounds cool :D Glad you liked it, i've been itching to get my hands on a copy. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I got mine from a library book sale, so always try there! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved The Unbecoming so am glad you did, too. The Evolution is even better, I must warn you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I'm going to get yelled at a lot for reading so much. I can just see it. :P

      Delete