Jan 29, 2013

Review: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon & Schuster for Young Readers
Number of Pages: 558

Here's the synopsis:
"By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?
Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?"
What to say about this book....Here's what I'll say: THIS BOOK WAS FREAKING AWESOME. IT F*CKIN BLEW MY HEAD OFF! Okay, sorry about the language but I just had to get that out. I've known about this book for like ever. I just never picked it up because the cover is kind of creepy and weird looking. So I was in Canada for Boxing Day and I went to Chapters and saw this on the bargain books shelf. Now let me tell you a book that is actually $18 and getting it for only $6? I just had to get it, especially since Bookables on Youtube loved it.

So this book was filled with awesome-sauce. I don't know what it was about this book, but from page one I was hooked. I found myself vying for Rhine to choose Gabriel and for them to be happy, but at the same time you see Linden and your just like "He's SO nice! His father's a jerk but he didn't do anything wrong." Your heart just breaks for him a little bit. I really liked that about this book. The fact that there is a love triangle and yet I can't really pick a team. I have NEVER had that happen to me before. That just proves that this book is 5 star worthy.

Then this society...at first I felt that it was a little bit cliched but later on it didn't matter. This is the type of stuff that we are all into, and want to read so whatever. I also want to discuss the two "sisters" of Rhine that are also married to Linden. I felt as if Rhine should have been glaring at them and just hating them all together. Then I realized that she didn't love Linden so she got along with them. Now Cecily was a bit of a pain in my butt. She was way too curious about all the things that had to do with um...getting pregnant. Then when she did get pregnant she was all grumpy and rude to everyone, she didn't really feel happy about finally getting her wish.


Otherwise I really don't know what to say about this book. It was magical. The ending made me sad and happy at the same time. It made me want to read this one all over again and at the same time pick up the next one, Fever. I wanted to go get Fever from the library right now, but I also wanted to get to experience the next book with my own copy, who cares if I have to wait. 


This book had my emotions everywhere. So I'm off to find some cash so I can buy the next book! I might have to wait until my birthday which is on February 20th though!


If you guys are looking for a good book, pick this one up! I promise you, you will not regret it.


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! It was such a surprising read. It was like nothing I've every read before! The idea of the book and the world it was set in were very original and creative.
    I was shocked to read about what happens to girls in this world.
    I love your review and I'm very glad you enjoyed this book!!
    I'm a new follower ^^

    Please check out my new blog and follow back. Thank you :D
    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to grab this book! Sounds great! Awesome review!

    New Follower :)

    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete