Jan 15, 2013

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Cover Image Author: Tabitha Suzuma
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
When I originally picked up this book from the library I thought it was a just an everyday book that could do no harm, obviously I didn’t read the synopsis very carefully.


Here’s the synopsis:
"Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending."
This book just made me sick. It wasn’t that the book was bad it was just that the concept of the book just sickened me. Okay, I know that it is the twos own opinion, but their siblings and they love each other! In our society today, it has been considered taboo and disgusting. I’m sorry but I have been brought up that way. At times they didn’t even act like siblings; I would randomly forget that Maya and Lochan were siblings. I would read the book as if they were just two regular people who weren’t related and were in love.  


 I do find it kind of weird and disgusting, but that is just the rational side of me speaking. The romantic side of me says that if they want to be together they should be allowed to. Overall when I think of me kissing my brother it grosses me out, but then again he’s only 8 years old. Even when I think about one my cousins it still makes me shudder. Either way, on with the book.


 *Spoilers*


 The ending of this book kind of depressed me. It really didn’t seem like it had good editing or it wasn’t very thought out. At certain points in the book, Lochan and Maya were saying that they won’t do “it” with each other because it’s illegal. Then the minute their alone they go right ahead and do “it”. That really just made me angry. They told each other that they would wait until they moved out. Then the ending Lochan just stopped trying. The ending was just so depressing. How is Maya supposed to take care of that many kids alone now? He didn't think about that at all. Then Maya was going to end her misery and leave the kids alone? WTF?!?!? I know that she loved Lochan but it was just kind of disgusting how easily she was going to let those kids to to some orphanage and end her won misery. It caught me as kind of selfish.
*End of Spoilers*
Overall, this book was very well written and I really would have liked it if they weren't siblings. I know that some of you would think that I'm narrow minded and a bit mean, but you should think about it. Wouldn't you find it at least just a little weird? I know I do.
I'm sorry but I really don't recommend this book to anyone unless they can really deal with this kind of stuff. I don't recommend it to anyone under the age of 14. Seriously, don't read it. There is some mature content.
Sorry, but I really wanted to give you guys an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. This one looks good, I was kind of still on the fence until I read your review!!

    ReplyDelete